Moving Into or Out of Smithville?
Utility Rates and Rate Structure
Board of Aldermen-approved water and wastewater rates and rate structure are identified in the Schedule of Fees.
Utility Billing Policy
The Board of Aldermen passed a utility billing policy in March 2018 to establish procedures for rendering monthly utility bills to customers and for obtaining payment of those utility bills.
Rendering of Utility Bills
Monthly utility bills are mailed via USPS no later than the 3rd of each month for the previous month's consumption. If you would like to view your bill online before you receive it in the mail, or if you would like to receive your bill via email instead of by mail, you can register for an online account, where you can also sign up to receive a text notification when a new utility bill is available to view or sign up for e-billing. You will need your utility billing account number, your most recent payment amount, and a valid email address and phone number to register. This information can be found on your utility bill, or feel free to call (816) 532-3897 or visit City Hall, where department staff can provide you with those details. Once you are logged in, you can add and remove utility accounts from the "Manage Accounts" screen, sign up for text notifications from the "Sign Up for Bill Alerts" link, or sign up for e-billing from the "Sign Up for E-Billing" link.
Newsletters are included with the utility billings in January, April, July, and October. The most recent newsletter is always available here: January 2020 Newsletter.
How to Make a Payment
Utility bills are always due no later than 5:00 pm on the 16th of each month. If the 16th falls on a non-business day, bills are due no later than 5:00pm on the first business day following the 16th. The City offers various options for making utility payments and you can choose the option that is most convenient for you. Please note that payments made by credit card or debit card will incur a convenience fee.
- Sign up for Auto-Debit, which automatically drafts the current balance due from your bank account on the 15th of each month;
- Pay by cash, check, money order, credit card, or debit card in person at City Hall during our normal business hours of 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday;
- Drop your cash, check, or money order payment in an envelope into the drop box at City Hall anytime outside of our regular business hours, and make sure to include the remittance stub found on the top of your bill so we can apply your payment properly;
- Send your check or money order payment via USPS mail, and make sure to include the remittance stub found on the top of your bill so we can apply your payment properly;
- Pay by credit card or debit card online (you must register for an online account); or
- Pay by credit card or debit card by phone at (816) 532-3897.
Late Fee Assessment
Utility accounts not paid in full will be assessed a late penalty at 8:00am on the first business day following the 21st of each month. Following the assessment of late fees, reminder calls are placed to all accounts subject to disconnection of water service.
Disconnection of Water Service
Utility accounts in arrears more than $75.00 at 8:00am on the first business day following the 26th of each month are subject to disconnection of water service. Note: the City does not process disconnections on Fridays; in that instance, we push disconnection of water service to the following business day. If water service has been disconnected, you must pay your full account balance plus a reconnection fee in guaranteed funds (cash, money order, certified check, credit card, or debit card) in order to restore service.
Your original payment will be reversed off of your account and a returned payment fee will be included on your next bill. Multiple returned payments will result in payment restrictions on your account that will require future payments to be made by guaranteed funds (cash, money order, certified check, credit card, or debit card).
Storm Water Fee
All Smithville sewer accounts without a sump pump certification on file will be charged a storm water fee. Call (816) 532-3897 to schedule your sump pump inspection.